This blog is created by students from Clemson University's spring 2009 course Women's Studies 459 - "Building Bodies: Women's Bodies in Theory and Practice." This class explores the construction of bodies from various methodological perspectives, focusing on five specific areas: theories of bodies; bodies and genders and sexes; “misbehaving” bodies; politics of bodies; and constructing bodies. We welcome comments and contributions to our posts and discussions.

03 May 2009

COMM lab

The other day in class my T.A. for my Comm lab was discussing how we needed to prepare for our persuasive speeches. While he was going over the guidelines, he mentioned that “girls need to watch what they wear as to not to distract the boys.” I was like, wow, I cannot believe you just said that. When he said that, I wanted to ask him, well I hope the boys don’t wear short sleeve shirts because their arms might distract me. He could have said something else; he did not have to say it like that. I did find it amusing though that a teacher actually said that. Why should girls have to watch what they wear when guys don’t have to be conscious? I mean, there are things that a guy can wear that would distract women, so why not point out to the boys that they should watch what they wear as to not distract the girls? Way to have a double standard against women.

No comments:

Post a Comment